Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11 ???

I didn't actually have much awareness of today being 9/11 today until I was talking to my mom, who is a little anxious, and when I told her I was hanging out on the roof, her immediate response was, "be careful."  Talk about over-reactive.  I live in a three flat.  Then, the only thing really on t.v. tonight was a thing on PBS about the new Freedom tower and how it and the memorial have been built.  Structural engineering is really interesting.

I feel strange about the whole 9/11 memorial thing.  Some people I think may be offended by my referral to 9/11 memorials as a "thing," but I feel like a memorial right now and so much emphasis on everything 9/11 related is a little premature- the world, politics, are still reactive to what happened on 9/11.  How can we have a memorial already when the lines of history are still unfolding in relation to this occurrence?  WWII memorials, to my knowledge, have only been erected in the past 10-20 years and that is at least 40 years after the end of WWII, the last time that the U.S. was actually suffered casualties by an outside force. 

I do think that construction around the site of where the towers fell is important but the perpetual awareness and 9/11 remembrance is too much.  I feel like we, as a nation, are dwelling too much on the past.  I appreciate construction as moving forward, and of a memorial, but the grandiose nature of the memorial being marketed is just too much.  I feel like 9/11 is what it is, a tragedy.  Maybe it is how culture has evolved with twitter, facebook, and other technological advances in that everyone and every little feeling is put out to the public that makes me feel over inundated with 9/11 coverage.

The press talks about "the public" experiencing "war fatigue."  I suppose that may be true to an extent.  I don't think "fatigue" may be the right expression for me.  I remember how I felt in the years following 9/11 (I was a highschool senior in the library when the second tower was hit and then in lit class when the towers fell) how patriotic I felt.  I remember telling a coworker at my summer job, this is after President Bush called us to war in Iraq, that I would be willing to be enlisted and go to war right then.  I had believed everything the president had told us in his national addresses at that time.  I supported our actions abroad. 

NOW, now, I don't feel that same patriotism that I once felt; if we were to go to war against Syria as world police force I would rally and protest against it.  I feel horrible because I feel like I am lacking that pride in my country.  I had hope when Obama was elected and I was in Grant Park that night and was so excited that this was a new chapter in American history where we would once again be recognized not for the size of our military but for the simple factors that make this nation great and some would debate it but I think Lady Liberty and the poet Emma Lazarus, says it best, "
 
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


  This is an excerpt from the poem that is on a tablet on the pedestal on which Lady Liberty stands.  We are a nation that is built by those searching for more and it is from there that we derive our strength.  We offer freedom, of religion, of speech, of arms, to a fair and speedy trial.  The unspoken basis upon which freedom resides is the basic respect of peoples no matter their condition. 

When we sully these freedoms, persecute the press, Guantanamo, when we build fences along our borders and enact protectionist legislation against immigration, I feel we fail as a country. 

Am I suffering from "war fatigue?"  I don't think so; if I felt like a conflict in which we as a nation were engaged in was just and appropriate action then I would completely support action.  Syria is not that type of engagement.  Iraq was sold to us on false terms and it sullied our reputation just as Vietnam did.  Entanglement in a civil war is not what the U.S. is built upon.  We must look to ourselves and uphold ourselves as a successful integration of cultures and ideals where people can live peacefully and flourish; in merely doing that we will succeed in seeing others "nations" striving to emulate that ideal system of freedom which the U.S. is supposed to represent.  In our talk, and attempts to be a "world power" we are actually lessening the stature of our nation.  It is the quiet, the large quiet entities that are to be the most respected.

Too much talk, too much twitter, too much 24/7, too much remembrance.  Let us strive to be free and to assist those by humanitarian efforts those who have similar desires- that is where we can be great.  Helping "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses."  We have the economic power to do that- invest there and not in the military and we will reap rewards and build far less resentment that inspires the al quidas of the world. 

I hope I'm not being too redundant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment